Reading Scheme and Phonics
At St Hild's we are passionate about developing life-long reading habits and equipping our children with the very best reading skills in order to prepare them for their learning across the curriculum and beyond.
What is our approach to the teaching of reading?
Across school we plan many opportunities to teach both decoding and comprehension skills through Phonics sessions, shared reading, Guided Reading lessons, comprehension activities and independent reading activities. Your child will read regularly with an adult in school, usually in small groups and sometimes 1:1.
How can you help your child with their reading?
- To develop effective reading strategies, fluency and their comprehension it is essential that your child reads regularly at home, daily if possible.
- In school we have introduced incentives and rewards for pupils who read their reading books at home at least 3 times per week.
- We ask that you support us by dedicating at least ten minutes per day to listen to your child read their reading book and talk about the book they have read.
- We have produced a booklet with ideas of questions you can ask your child and ways in which you can help them build words they are unsure of. Please see below.
- To help us monitor your child's reading, please ensure that you sign your child's red Reading Together booklet and feel free to write a comment to let us know how your child is getting on. Remember to return reading books and Reading Together books to school every day, even if your child hasn't read, as your child's class teacher will be writing comments during Guided Reading sessions to let you know how your child is progressing.
If you have any questions about your child's reading, please arrange to see your child's class teacher or Mrs Banks, the English lead.
Thank you for your support.
Parents' reading booklet- how to support your child at home.
We use letters and sounds as our phonics scheme at St Hild's
This is linked to our reading scheme - 'Pearson Bug Club' which we use from Nursery to Year 6.